Should parents of US KIA's pay Federal income taxes?





It is impossible to rightly govern a nation without God and the Bible.
George Washington



Don't let schooling interfere with your education.
Mark Twain


Total Pageviews

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Chicken Pot Pie

I just butchered 25 young chickens.  When I butcher chickens, I save three or four as whole roasters, and I cut up the rest for friers.  After cutting up the chickens, which I filet the breasts off, I boil the carcasses and pick off  all the meat.  These scraps are great for chicken salad or pot pies.          


Boil some chicken.  I use chicken carcasses, but if you're buying chicken, use a whole cut up frier.  Add palmful of salt, half that much pepper, two shakes of thyme, and one shake of rosemary to six cups of water, add chicken, and boil for 15 minutes.  Remove chicken and break it up into bite size pieces.


In a pot, empty two cans of mixed vegetables, drained.  Add the chicken pieces.  Put the heat on low.

In a skillet, melt half a stick of butter.  Stir in a third of a cup of all purpose flour.  Add one and a half cups of hot broth and one cup cream.  When this is blended well, add it to the chicken and veggies.

Meanwhile, on a different counter, put a crust in a pie pan.  You can buy pre-made crusts, or make one from scratch.  To make one from scratch (much better) put three cups of flour in a bowl.  Add a half teaspoon of salt.  Cut in one cup of lard.  When its all folded together, add one quarter to one half cup of cold water until the dough forms a ball.  Divide in half, and roll out on the counter.  Put one crust in the pie pan.  Add the filling, then put the other crust on top.  Put a slit in the top crust to vent it, and bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes.



If you do this right, it will crack your face, its so delicious.

2 comments:

  1. YUMMY!

    I do a MEAN homemade chicken or beef pot pie. Use tart tins for smaller pies that you can take to work.

    Also, I do COWBOY bisquits for my stew or pot roast, from scratch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gunny,

    Something I'm about to try is rabbit pot pie. Someone mentioned it the other day, and my mouth has been watering.

    ReplyDelete